Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sense of Place Essay

In my opinion, a sense of place sounds similar to a sense or want to belong somewhere. A place to call home or one's own. It can depend on a person's feelings of where they are or were they long to be. An example can actually be myself because I grew up in a suburb neighborhood in Round Rock Texas and even though I did love it there because that's my home, I saw the suburbs as very boring and not very exciting because the houses looked the same and it sometimes feels like it's cut off from other areas like where my friends lived or places I liked to go to. So when I started preparing for college, I wanted to get out of the closed in place like the suburbs and live somewhere that had more access and excitement which was one of the reasons that I set my sights to here at Memphis College of Art and the city location. Being out here it's like more places are closer for me to reach such as friends and places to shop, eat, or hang out, plus a lot of it is within walking or biking distance. Plus at the college I'm surrounded by students who share similar interests and goals. So while I do miss my home back in Round Rock every once in awhile, I feel more at home in a city like location. It gives me a sense of place or home. A place where I feel the most happy and comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment